sanctuary or bishop's chairs are special chairs two of which
stand near the entrance to the chancel and two stand in the sanctuary.
They are made of wood and there are "IHS"
carvings on the backs of three of the bishop’s chairs
with another chair having "Do It
With All" carved on it. "IHS"
or "IHC" are the first
three letters of the Greek for Jesus (IHCOYC)
(see below). At some time during Revd Job's
incumbency in 1895 one of these oak chairs was presented by the Communicants'
Association. Two of the chairs are exactly the same, with the carving
"IHS" as shown
on the far right below. The litany desks
are prayer desks for the clergy. They are also made of carved wood.