The eagle lectern is the desk
on which the Bible rests. The word lectern comes from the Latin word
lectus, meaning to read, because
the lectern is actually a reading stand. It is normally used by members
of the congregation to read the scripture lessons, to lead the congregation
in prayer, and to make announcements.
It is made of brass, stands 1830 mm high and is in the shape of an
eagle with out-stretched wings. The eagle is standing on a ball, which
represents the world, while the Bible on the eagle's back symbolises
the Gospel being carried on wings to the corners of the earth. The
lectern stands on four bird-like feet with an inscription ‘To
the glory of God and in memory of Emily E Ward 1882’.
The first two St James's vicars married members of the Ward family.