St James's Church, Hampton Hill

The pulpit


" "
Pulpit panel Pulpit Column

Pulpit panel IHS

The Pulpit
" "
The pulpit is the raised, enclosed platform from which the preacher gives the sermon. The word pulpit comes from the Latin word pulpitum, meaning stage or platform. It is the largest piece of church furniture, to show that the Word of God is the most important part of the weekly service.

The pulpit is made of portland stone with marble decorative columns and inset panels with marble coping and is hexagonal (six-sided). The centre panel shows "IHS". IHS or IHC are the first three letters of the Greek for Jesus (IHCOYC) (see right).

The pulpit was a gift to the church from Revd Bligh in 1880.


The pulpit falls are decorative pieces of material adorning the reading desk on the pulpit. They hang down in front of the book stand on the pulpit so the front of the fall is seen by the congregation. There are different colours according to the time in the liturgical season (see below).

A pulpit fall

A pulpit fall

A pulpit fall

A pulpit fall


St James's Church
The Parish Church of St James, Hampton Hill, TW12 1DQ
Main site: stjames-hamptonhill.org.uk