Graves
 
Gravestones and Headstones
The churchyard still contains several large family memorials, the earliest grave, the only one in 1864, being that of Walter Richard Daines, a name well known in early parish times. The incumbent must give permission before gravestones are erected but our churchyard was closed for burials, except in family graves, in 1992.

Gravestones and Headstones serve as memorials to the dead and are made of stone, marble or granite. An epitaph may be carved on them. RlP stands for the Latin words Requiescat In Pace, meaning 'rest in peace'. Inscriptions on the graves can tell us a little of the history of the families who have lived in the district.

The Garden of Rest
An area has been reserved in the churchyard, not far from the lych-gate entrance which is at the north-east corner, for the burying of ashes after cremation. The area has a lawn and is bordered by flowerbeds. There is a wooden bench which can be used as a quiet place for reflection.
The Garden of Rest

The War Memorial
The War Memorial
The War Memorial commemorates those men and women from local families who died in the forces in the service of their country during the two world wars. The plinth of the memorial is inscribed with the names of 124 such men who died in the first world war, 1914 to 1918, and the 29 men and women who died in the second world war, 1939 to 1945. The tall stone cross is visible from nearly all the churchyard. The memorial was designed by PM Andrews and eventually unveiled on May 26th, 1920. Wreaths are laid at the War Memorial in a ceremony on Remembrance Sunday.


'Their name liveth for evermore. These died the death of honour
For God, King and Country. In the Great War, 1914-1919'


The Canadian War Graves
During the first world war some Canadian troops were billeted in Bushy Park, and Upper Lodge became the King’s Canadian Hospital for Canadians wounded in battle. Some of their dead were buried in an area of our churchyard reserved for them. Special care is still taken of these graves by the Canadian War Graves Commission. There are 13 graves, all of a similar pattern with plain white headstones, kept with close-cut grass and tended flowerbeds.
Canadian War Graves

A Canadian maple shades the graves, and the whole area is of particular interest and importance to Canadian visitors, some of whom were related to the soldiers. A fourteenth Canadian soldier, Joe Boyle, was once buried in the churchyard. He had a very remarkable war record.

Three of St James's vicars are buried in the churchyard.

The Grave of Rev. Fitzroy John Fitzwygram

The Grave of
Revd Fitzroy Fitz Wygram
The Grave of Revd. Henry Bligh

The Grave of
Revd Henry Bligh
The Grave of Revd. Richard Coad-Pryor

The Grave of
Revd Richard Coad-Pryor



The Parish Church of St James, Hampton Hill, TW12 1DQ
Main site: stjames-hamptonhill.org.uk